The A* 300/4 is exactly the same as the M* 300/4 except for the A
button and setting, which is why it is so M-ish. It is a good lens,
although I think the optical quality is somewhat compromised compared
to other 300mm lenses I've used, as a result of its size. This does
not mean that it isn't a great performer.

According to Cecchi a few other A lenses are also minor updates of the
equivalent M, and therefore presumably also as compact: 15/3.5, 35/2,
50/1.2, 100/2.8, 50/2, 100/4, 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 50/1.7, 200/4,
24-50/4. I think some of these are in turn the same as their K
equivalents.

I have some Pentax lens catalogues somewhere in which they state that
the * designation refers to high performance glass, typicaly with
fluoride or asymmetric elements.

Bob