I had 3 approved in the last weeks. I tracked my photos in the recent
addition category and lots of other new photos appeared (maybe 10 each
week). The number/counter of new additions also varied. Didn't make
notes, looks like older photos drop from that list.
Anyway my observation is they are accepting many new photos and many
new photos are in the same genre, sunsets, lighthouses, bugs, flowers
etc. My advise keep posting they didn't raise the bar, only the input
volume has exploded. It wouldn't surprise me if the judges pick one or
two every day from the voting queue and if that's true luck is also
important. My approvals are a little surprise to me, 2 of them are
quick "tests" of a new lens. Others which I gave much more thought and
time didn't make it.