The problem in metropolitan areas like WDC is that if you leave an opening
over one car length or more between you and the guy in front somebody will
move into that space.
One of the exercises taught at the Bondurant school is where you approach a
set of lights at 60 MPH, your light changes to red and you have to
immediately switch to another lane which has the green light and you have
obstacles in the lane divisions only about 1-2 car lengths in front of you
and you have to keep from hitting them.
The 2 second rule is a worst case amount based on the 95% of Americans who
can't really drive. If you ever looked at the examples of that they pretty
much used zero good driving techniques and slowed the reflex response to
something approaching what one of these average drivers would be doing who
wasn't paying attention. In fact I used to get a laugh out of their time
calculation about how long it took from seeing a problem to actually
braking. It was many times the measured amount it takes me (something around
.15-.18 second for me). In fact in my case in that time frame of .2 seconds
or less I can actually decide not to brake. Often I've been in an emergency
situation where my foot went to stand on the brakes and by the time the .2
seconds was almost up I analyzed the situation and decided that braking was
either the wrong response or not needed just as my foot touched the pedal.
The 95% will generally stomp on the brake even if the thought processes are
working well enough to correctly gage the situation.
Another question on driving ability. How many of you could actually drive
your car at speed (55-125 MPH) through a gap only 1 inch wider than the
vehicle without ever touching the paint time after time? Very few, even less
than the good driving 5% have that experience or ability. It's tied to how
spatially you perceive your vehicle. I see the improper side all the time.
Like when a person wants to turn right or pass somebody on the right at a
stop situation and they have a gap as much as 1 foot wider than their car
but they have so little conception of the location of the corners of their
vehicle that they can't seem to negotiate the gap. How many remember the old
curb feelers people used to put on the corners of their cars in the past
(some still do)?

Let's get back to photography as I usually talk about this on my automotive
groups.
Anybody interested in this stuff will probably find I'm going to do another
year of instructing at the Car Guys high performance driving weekends on the
East coast this year.
Kent Gittings