From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
William Robb
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:49 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: FA 1.4/50mm tested by DPReview

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Hunt"

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 9:26 PM, William Robb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Actually, it depends purely on the magnification ratio and alowable
>> COC. Focal length doesn't matter, nor does subject distance.
>
> Your statement is only an approximation, useful for close subject
> distances.  See:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field#Close-up
>
> "Stated otherwise, for the same subject magnification, all focal
> lengths give approximately the same DOF. This statement is true only
> when the subject distance is small in comparison with the hyperfocal
> distance, however."
>
>> Don't try to correct John on this, he's forgotten more than most
>> people
>> know
>> on the subject.
>
> I'm not "most people", and he's wrong.   John disputes that the
> allowable CoC, which you mention above, varies with format.  I have
> provided numerous sources that state otherwise, and offer clear
> explanations.

Of course it varies with format. As an examle, you don't need to magnify
an
image from a 4x5 negative as much as you do an image from an APS-C
sensor,
so the CoC of the sheet film can be larger.
However, trying to correct John is a fools game, no matter what your
opinion
of the facts are.

William Robb

follow the directions.