From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
David Savage
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2008 9:21 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Wide zoom (and not zoom) lenses redux

I see no point in using Pentax bodies if you are just going to buy 3rd
party lenses.

I have both the DA 16-45mm & the DA* 16-50mm. I was never a big fan of
the 16-45 & when the 16-50 became available I got one. I've never
regretted the decision.

My other advice is quit reading lens review sites. They fuck with your
head & find faults that 99% of the time you will never notice.

Cheers,

Dave

2008/11/16 Boris Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi!
>
> So here is the list of some lenses that I thought about recently and
> the  considerations that may prevent me from buying them.
>
> 1. SMCP DA* 16-50/2.8 - serious distortions at wide end, quality
> control issues still there 2. SMCP DA 17-70/4 SDM - some say it is a
> sibling of SMCP DA 10-17 fish eye wide end distortion-wise. Perfect
> otherwise. 3. SMCP DA 16-45/4 - slightly less distortions at wide end,

> basically ok, though the CAs could be a problem.
> 4. Tamron 17-50/2.8 - suffers from curvature of field, rather good
otherwise
> 5. Sigma 18-50/2.8 - well, I just don't quite like Sigma, and certain
people
> call Sigma really nasty names
> 6. SMCP DA 21/3.2 AL Limited - excellent lens, just not wide enough
> 7. Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 - covers full frame, but also suffers from
curvature
> of field
> 8. Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 - well, another Sigma
> 9. SMCP FA 20-35/4 - said to be excellent, but expensive and starting
> become quite rare these days.
>
> No matter how strange this sounds, but it seems that there is no
> decidedly good lens in 16(17,18)-45(50, 70) range for modern Pentax
> DSLR. Each lens has some serious drawbacks.
>
> So here you have it - a short summary. Please don't kill the scribe.
>
> Boris
>
> P.S. I already have 21 ltd, it is listed here just for sake of
> completeness.
>
> P.P.S. I should watch for reviews of DA 17-70/4 and some sample shots
> as well.
>
> P.P.P.S. The price on (even brand new) DA 16-45/4 has gone down
> considerably now...
>
> 4P.1S. I have placed an order for Tamron 17-50/2.8 and I may still buy

> one for lack of better alternative due to its speed and sharpness.
> Having excellent sample of Tamron 28-75/2.8 has its impact on my
> reasoning...

follow the directions.