Hi!

Carlos Royo wrote:
5. Sigma 18-50/2.8 - well, I just don't quite like Sigma, and certain people call Sigma really nasty names

There are two versions of that lens. I have the newest, Sigma DC EX 18-50 2.8 macro. This one has a 72 mm. filter ring, instead of 67 mm. in the oldest version, and focuses closer. This lens is a very good one, at least the copy I have. Very good sharpness, except at 18 2.8, where it has good centre sharpness and acceptable resolution at the corners of the frame. Barrel distortion at 18 mm. is noticeable when there are straight lines close to the periphery of the picture, but if it bothers you it can be straightened easily in postprocessing.

Interesting. So the older one has 67 mm filter ring... I thought it was the other way around.

In Europe, the Tamron 17-50 2.8 is about 15% cheaper than the Sigma. I went for the Sigma because I could buy a LN in box lens for a low price (200 euros).

Fascinating. I mean, 200 euros is really affordable for such a lens.

As you see, nowadays quality controls seem to be a thing of the past. Nikon users also have reported problems with the Nikkor 17-55 2.8.

I am not trying to say that QC should prevent 100% of lemons. But the number of complaints about DA* 16-50/2.8 make it very worrisome proposition for me. I will probably inquire further especially if it would be possible to exchange it should the one I might buy would be faulty.

I think you have made a good choice with the Tamron you have ordered. If its AF doesn't work as expected, you can always have it replaced. In fact, I am also thinking about buying a Tamron 17-50 2.8, although I would keep the Sigma, then my wife and me would have a fast walk around zoom for each.

Brand new Tamron costs here order of $450, which considering that I already have it shipped, taxes paid and also covered with at least 1 year warranty, I reckon is a good price.

Boris