CSS = cascade style sheet

HTML is the data, CSS is how they look... (it is recomended to
separate data and design in web page).

HTML is filled in by author, CSS is usually made by web page designer
(or template maker).

It is not that hard to make your own CSS but there are many problems
with different browsers. Unfortunately... But if you want to make your
own I suggest reading w3schools:
http://www.w3schools.com/CSS/

Hope this helps...

Merlin