If they don't want the party in power to mess with them they shouldn't take any Government money. On the other hand the I don't think lack of Government money will keep organizations and individuals from being messed with by bureaucrats for much longer, mores the pity.

John Sessoms wrote:
From: David Mann
I'd never heard of NPR until recently when I saw a couple of links to some very good shows about the origins of the financial crisis. Since then I've been following their Planet Money blog. We just don't seem to get much decent journalism in this country.

And that country would be?

NPR in the U.S. is not in quite the same league as the BBC or CBC.

For one thing, they aren't actually a NATIONAL Public Radio. They get minuscule tax support, although the government in power does get to name their CEO and board and interfere in their operations if they don't toe the approved party line.

Other than that, they're dependent on corporate donations and quarterly beg-a-thons, so they won't go TOO far, lest they offend their corporate masters.

You get further with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.
        --Al Capone.