About 3 weeks ago, we had approximately 2 inches of snow overnight.  The roads
were pretty greasy because the temperature was hovering around zero (Celcius)
and more fell in the morning.  About 11.00am, it was announced over the radio
that local companies had taken their buses off the road.  College management
immediately closed all centres and sent the students home, followed by the
staff some 40 minutes later.  Of course, by the time the edict had been
fulfilled, the roads were clear.

When I asked what would be the likely outcome of a sent-home student trudging
though the snow and being hit by a vehicle, I was greeted with the sort of look
reserved for Zaphod Beeblebrox.