I disagree, well let me qualify that. at least in the range I stated
which is
like f11 to f22 and this sample. its probably diffraction limited which
about as good as it gets at those stops. Now under F11
or wide open, I dont have a clue, nor care, never enough
depth of field in the macro range to shoot much under f11 with 3d
objects.

I have a bunch and bunches of
macro lenses, lets see, I got a minota 80mm, schneider 105 and
150mm for my M42 bellows which works fine on dslr, a smc pentax 100mm
for the K bellow also,
and a real nice pair of K automatic bellows novoflex 60mm and 105mm
for K autobelllows ( over $2400 setup there alone on the novoflex).
Then I have a rare vivitar 135mm true macro F2.8 if i recall, a smc-k
100mm
F4 macro, a smc-a 50mm f2.8 macro and that about does it. One I wanna
get is the smc-a 100mm F2.8 but I never seem to have the scratch
when they show up.

So I do have some references. At F11 to F22? this sample smc-m 50mm F4
is just about
as good as the rest which isnt hard to do at those fstops. There is one
I no longer have but I recall as
the most incredible of them all, it was a 135mm el nikkor MC mounted
on M42 for bellows. That sob was out of this world but I sold it
for some dumb reason. Like I needed the money at the time and I already
have too many macros.

I can tell you with near certainty too, the slow bellows mount lenses
on bellows optimized for near range or the slow old macro on camera
lenses
without floating elements do better at near range than anything
else. Like I said the king of them all was an el nikkor which
is optimized for macro mags and was long focus, not telephoto,
which makes it a nearly perfect design for the applicaton, also
its slow, F5.6.  Fast lenses for macro like F2.8 or 2.5 are compromises
to get the speed,
the 135 f5.6 MC el nikkor was an all out no compromise deal. Damn it was
a good one.
I hate when I sell good stuff and later regret it.

JC O'Connell
hifis...@gate.net