Hi John: Well, as you say it's a little soft, but it's a nice composition and you also got the baby owl, and it's still a memorable documentation of the moment. You'll get it sharp next time. Cheers, Christine

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Sessoms" <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com>
To: <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:34 PM
Subject: PESO: Owl

I've been looking for the owl I heard earlier this month, trying to get some idea of its habits. Yesterday, I spotted it on the nest I thought it might use, and came back today with my camera:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jb_sessoms/3396685627/

K10D, Sigma 300 2.8 + Sigma APO 1.4x tele-converter, on a tripod ...
ISO 400 (I think)

The image is a bit soft. I've noticed that whenever I use the 1.4x converter, even though it's supposed to be matched to the lens.

It just kills me. Some guy came along with a Nikon D200 & 200 mm Nikon IS lens and chimping what he got looked a whole lot sharper than what I got.

But ... it's what I got.