On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I've been looking for the owl I heard earlier this month, trying to get some
> idea of its habits. Yesterday, I spotted it on the nest I thought it might
> use, and came back today with my camera:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jb_sessoms/3396685627/
>
> K10D, Sigma 300 2.8 + Sigma APO 1.4x tele-converter, on a tripod ...
> ISO 400 (I think)
>
> The image is a bit soft. I've noticed that whenever I use the 1.4x
> converter, even though it's supposed to be matched to the lens.
>
> It just kills me. Some guy came along with a Nikon D200 & 200 mm Nikon IS
> lens and chimping what he got looked a whole lot sharper than what I got.
>
> But ... it's what I got.

Yeah, well, what can you tell from chimping?  Maybe he has in-camera
sharpening on and you don't?  I certainly keep mine off (prefer to
sharpen - if I do at all - in post-processing).

You both using the same tripods and all?

I guess my point is that there may be lots of variables involved in
his apparent sharpness.

BTW, that's a wonderful shot you took!

cheers,
frank