John,

That is a very nice shot.  I don't think I've ever even =seen= an owl in its
nest, much less with a chick, and much much less with a camera available.

The softness looks to me like motion blur (when I enlarge the photo as much as
Flickr allows).  Did you use the 2sec timer?  Was SR off?

I don't care much for teleconverters in any case...

Rick

http://photo.net/photos/RickW