> > of confusion
> DOF, than
> > > >

> > > Circle of confusion is not pixel size.
> >
> > I misunderstood it then. I always thought that the circle
> of confusion
> > represented the smallest area that could be resolved. That anything
> > between a mathematical point and the CoC resolves to the same size,
> > and that the physical manifestation of this on a digital
> sensor was a
> > pixel.
> >

> This is the bit that's wrong:
>
> > and that the physical manifestation of this on a digital
> sensor was a
> > pixel.

I should add that by resolved we mean resolved by the human eye, not
resolved by the sensor.

For example, the conventional calculation for CoC for a 4/3rds sensor, whose
imaging area is 17.3mm wide, to be viewed as a 10x8" print (20x25cm) from a
distance of 10" (25cm) gives a circle of confusion of 0.0173mm. If the
sensor has 10,000,000 pixels on an area 17.3 x 13mm = 224.9mm, then the area
of each pixel is 0.00002249mm, which is orders of magnitude smaller than the
eye can resolve.

Bob