By magnification do you mean the size of the image as projected on the
sensor or film?

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 06:26:17PM -0400, JC OConnell wrote:
> The problem with this post below is the word "perceived".

For my purposes, if the viewer can't tell that something is out of
focus, I don't care whether it is in focus or not. Granted, it's
generally better if I can achieve this effect with a bigger image, but
life is all about compromises.

> The REAL DOF increases with lower magnification, not the
> perceived DOF. If you could build a high quality tiny
> sensor and had a real short FL lens of unlimited resolution,
> you would end up with a camera with immense DOF capability,

So, if I want to increase DOF at the same aperture, I could use a
smaller sensor?

And if I don't have a smaller sensor, then I could use a wider lens
and crop down to the smaller portion of the sensor, in effect giving
me a smaller sensor and less magnification? (Albeit at the cost of
image resolution)

Just like I asked in my first post?

--
The fastest way to get your question answered on the net is to post
the wrong answer.