On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:32:47AM -0300, Luiz Felipe wrote:
> You're actually saying if one zoom out (reduce the magnification of the
> subject) and crop back to the desired composition the DOF will be
> increased, right? So the pic taken with the zoom at 35mm will present
> greater DOF than the one taken at 70mm, after you enlarge both to the
> same subject size, right?

This is the premise behind point and shoots having greater depth of
field than APS which has greater depth of field than Full Format. Or
conversely if you want to limit DOF at a particular angle of view, you
may need to go to FF.

> ...so the K20d has greater DOF than the *ist DS, right?

Because you can shoot with a shorter lens and crop, since DOF is based
on focal length squared and CoC as a linear value.

Mind you, if you down res a photo from 2000x3000 pixels to 400x600
then an edge that had been 5 pixels wide is now only 1 pixel wide so
even if DoF can't be changed in post processing, there will be a lot
more lattitude in what you cannot see is out of focus.

--
The fastest way to get your question answered on the net is to post
the wrong answer.