JC OConnell wrote:

>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=20382864
>
>Maybe thats a better lens for possibly the same or less money? I dont
>know but it would be worth investigating, no?

I had one--bought it from a member of this list (or its predecessor) for
~$1100 around 2000.  Nice glass, but really big and really heavy.  I sold it
for $2000 on eBay in 2006 and bought my 31, 43, and 77 limited lenses with
the $$$.  I use them far more than I ever used my FA* 80-200 F2.8.

I also had an FA* 28-70 F2.8 lens.  It worked ok, but didn't seem all that
durably built.  Some other folks on this list had terrible troubles with
theirs.  I sold it for what I paid for it, so no net loss there.

What keeps me from buying the 60-250 (besides the $$$) at this point is my
lack of trust in the Pentax DA* lenses.  I have no interest whatsoever in
dropping more than $1000 for something that may or may not have a fatal
design/manufacturing flaw.  I have a 16-50.  It went back to Pentax USA
twice because of quality control problems.  The second time they replaced it
with a different copy.  It seems ok, but I've lost some confidence.

I decided to stay away from the 50-135 due to the rash of SDM failure
reports at a couple of different forums.   Pentax is going to have to
convince me that they can reliably manufacture durable lenses before I buy
another one.  Maybe a year from now, if the 60-250's out "in the wild" are
still working, I'll consider one.

--Mark