On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 01:26:54PM -0700, Joseph McAllister wrote:

> I was waiting for someone to argue my "10,000" mph was incorrect for for
> focal plane shutter velocity. It probably is.

Well, let's look at that.  Basically, the flash sync time can be taken
as the time it takes for the shutter to move from one edge of the frame
to the other.  For an APS-C camera with a 1/180s flash sync that's 16mm
in 1/180 of a second, or 2880mm/second, which is around 6.44 mph.

So, yep - that 10,000 figure does sound a little high.

(Not that you need the detailed arithmetic to know that; there's no
sonic boom, so the shutter must be moving at less than 760 mph :-)