Sounds similar to the info on the 393. engeneering plastic washers to control
friction.

John
From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Ken Waller
[kwal...@peoplepc.com]
Sent: 20 July 2009 20:41
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Minor enablement

I use the Kirk 'King Cobra' with my 600 FA, similar in concept to the
Wimberly, but simpler in construction - YMMV, (the concept is to balance the
lens at its center of gravity such that weight is not a factor in the moting
of the lens).
The Wimberly, like the Kirk, is purely mechanical, no fluid 'action'
involved. They both use engineering plastics 'bearings' (sheet washers) on
both the horizontal & vertical panning knobs, letting you get as much or as
little friction as you need for smooth motion or locking it down.

Considering the the Wimberly (not the 'Side Kick') & Kirk are in the
$450-600 range, it might be worth a try to correct the horizontal issue with
the Manfrotto.

Kenneth Waller
http://www.tinyurl.com/272u2f