On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 11:20 PM, John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 07:28:09PM -0800, Joseph McAllister wrote:
>>
>> I don't think anyone should support a company or an industry that
>> demands you keep your wallet open to them on their whim at all times.
>
> Like, say, Apple?  Or are all those OS upgrades (10.1/2/3/4/5/6) free?
>
> I'm firmly in the camp that says once you've got a system runnning,
> don't mess with it (also know as "if it ain't broke, don't fix it").
> And I certainly don't want to pay them to break things for me.

I strongly agree. It's a matter of priorities. Is printing important?
Then the priority is keeping that working not getting the latest
upgrade. I suspect part of the problem is that Apple wants to keep OS
fixes/maintenance releases in sync with new user-land features to keep
people upgrading. Yet while doing that, they also broke backwards
support for the Epson driver.

Who is really to blame? Apple for breaking the compatibility or Epson
for failing to work. I wouldn't accept Apple's stance that "if I tell
you about something ahead of time, it's okay to break things" as
acceptable when they are going the "shiny new features upgrade now"
route. The shiny new features are almost always user land programs --
not core OS (kernel, kernel API) changes. But it would appear you
can't have those shiny features without also upgrading your core OS.
Apple chose to do at least two things: bundle core OS changes with
shiny new features and break backwards compatibility.

I have no fish in the OS X kettle but I did just buy a refurbished
Epson 3800. I could afford that but not a new Epson 3880. I'm still
waiting for it to arrive but I see Epson does have Windows 7
compatible drivers available on their site. Future driver upgrades are
a concern but I assume a lot of bugs have already been worked out with
this driver and the 3800 so my concern was minor enough to go forward
with the purchase.

Cymen