On 2009-11-02 14:12 , Joseph McAllister wrote:
Finally had to dump my old EPS 800 when it stopped working this year.
Sad. Now I have to crank up my old Apple Laserwriter 3500 for black only
printing.

you mean 8500, right?

And now that Apple has ceased to support AppleTalk in
Snow Leopard, when I do upgrade I will have to put together some kind of
Ethernet to parallel contraption to fool the printer, if I've read
correctly.

that printer supports IP printing over Ethernet; this is a bother, but a small one compared to using a parallel adapter; see the first solution on this page:

<http://support.apple.com/kb/TA35778>

and for information on changing the printer's IP address so it works on your LAN, here are some references

<http://db.tidbits.com/article/10626>
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1998641&tstart=0>
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8994445>
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8998017>

And I bought two of the darn printers (they are very good) 5 years ago
for $15 each, and a toner cartridge for $100.

this model is not well-regarded by laser printer pros, but as long as they work, they're a bargain; i use an assortment of old laser printers; my favorite tabloid model is the LaserJet 4mv