As it seems that "flash synch disabled above X-synch speeds" is more
than a Pentax only situation, the ball must be in Jobo's court to find
a solution.

It may not be Pentax only, but I think both Nikon and Canon get this right, so I doubt Jobo really care :(

Isn't there any other connection/outlet where a camera
 provides an impulse coincident with exposure?

Perhaps on the multi-pin grip connector.  Dunno.

Nikons have this kind of ability on their "10 pin"connector. Canon probably has a similar option.

make the GPS unit in an SCA-3xxx version that could
spoof the camera into believing it was mounted with a high
speed flash.

A SCA version would add another A$100 to the cost for the 3702 adapter, which seems less than ideal me. Still, it would give it platform independence (rather than them releasing a version for every system).

If I were to bother attempting to build such thing, I'd just do a pentax dedicated one anyway. Firstly, its all I need, and secondly I have no idea how I'd get hold of a SCA spec to implement it that way.

- Peter