Thanks for the report Bruce. I'd like to see a body only kit but it probably
wouldn't be much cheaper.
Steve Desjardins

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Dayton <bkday...@daytonphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 21:32:28
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List<pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: K-x first impressions

Ok, I've had a night and day to work with the camera.  Did some
testing and comparing last night to the K20D and then shot some this
morning and a basketball game this afternoon.  So about 700 shots so
far.

The camera does not feel as robust as the K20D, but it seems to be
reasonable.  It is small, almost too small.  The grip really helps.
The kit lens that comes with it is not as nice as the one that came
with the K20D.  Differences are plastic mount instead of metal, no
quick shift focusing and no hood.  The hood from the other kit lens
fits properly so it appears they just don't include it in the kit.

When trying to find things that the camera can't do, really couldn't
find anything that was a real problem.  It doesn't handle  the same
as the K20D, but I could certainly do everything that I wanted.

The AF seems to be improved over the K20D.  It seems a little more
accurate and quick to lock on.  There is an option for when using
auto sensor selection, to only use the center 5 sensors rather than
all 11.  That seems to work pretty well.  I have found the finder to
be adequate to manual focus and to help show focus being achieved
when on AF.  The lack of visual sensor indicators is a minor bother,
but I mostly got used to it.

Boy, was I pleased with the high ISO capability.  Just a ton better
than the K20D.  At ISO 800, they are fairly close, but from then on
the gap gets wider and wider at each increasing setting.  The K-x is
so much better.  As this was the reason for getting the camera, I am
happy with it.  It really starts to make a difference in how you
think about shooting - with the K20D and earlier models, the high ISO
(greater than 800) is mostly when you have to and don't expect great
results.

Using Continuous focus and single point selection worked well for
basketball.  I'd say my in focus percentage was marginally higher
than the K20D - not much better, but it was good.

The biggest downside so far is battery life.  It doesn't go too long
on my rechargeable batts.  Used some Duracell and Sony eneloop type
technology and got about 300 shots or so per set doing lots of continuous
focus stuff.  This is a spot where the K20D, easily surpasses the K-x.

The white body doesn't bother me at all - I rather like it.  It is a
pleasant change from your basic black and it really is not obnoxious
at all.

I am pleased with it.  I think that my two daughters and son would
like it more than what the are shooting with (*ist D, K10D).

--
Best regards,
Bruce