On May 1, 2010, at 5:35 AM, John Coyle wrote:

> I started with computers in 1982, when the hot PC's were Commodore 64's and
> Amiga's, with the TRS-80 the hobbyist machine.

You must have been half asleep, if you missed Apple //e. I was working in NY as
a journalist, and anyone who could afford to spend more than a pittance worked
with a //e and 128k of ram. As far back as 1978, the Apple // was a hot seller
for serious users, as it was the machine that ran Visicalc. Apple actually had
a substantial business market at the time but didn't pursuit it down the line.