Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "frank theriault" <knarftheria...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: OT: Kids are Dying in Cars

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 8:04 AM, paul stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
Most of my writing is, well, frivolous. Not this time. Kids are dying in cars at an unprecedented rate. As >>unbelievable as it sounds, those deaths are often caused by a simple memory lapse. The Times asked me to look into it. The article appears in tomorrow's paper, and it's up on the web now.

Our own Ken Waller served as a very valuable resource, and he's quoted in the article. You'll find it here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/automobiles/30HEAT.html?pagewanted=1&ref=automobiles

You summed up your article beautifully, Paul:

“If we leave the headlights on or keys in the ignition, we get a
buzz,” she said. “Somehow we have decided that it’s more important not
to have a dead car battery than a dead baby.”

As a parent of three now-grown children, it seems inconceivable to me
that anyone could "forget" an infant in a car (we had our baby seat in
the back seat back then, too).  That's nothing short of criminal
negligence.  But for those times they are "forgotten", if a sensor is
available, it should be there.

One dead innocent child is too many.

Yes, if its you child, but should the rest of us have to pay for your error?
Lack of action on your part should not create an issue for me.

Great article.

cheers,
frank