On 5/30/2010 8:44 PM, P. J. Alling wrote:
Boris

There might be some merit to that. Some studies, (I wish I had a link
but a Google search will probably turn up a bunch pro and con), have
show that in many cases intersections are safer with fewer lights,
and signs. Drivers are more cautious entering, they don't have a
false sense of security.

Well, yes, I was surprised by some "unmanaged" crossings around Stanford
(I think it was Stanford that I visited some years ago). You will also
be surprised that very often if a busy crossing lights break in my area,
it is usually major time loss for commuters.

However I'll answer on point. Your example is a straw man. The
"benefit" from street lights and other traffic control improvements
accrue to all drivers and most pedestrians, pretty much all of
society, pretty much directly.

Well, I've read some arguments or opinions against that in other
messages in this thread, but /I/ agree with you - the benefit is there.

The only thing everyone gains from this is a good feeling, that we've
/done/ /something/. Which is still likely to a.) not solve the
problem, I believe in the idiocy of dedicated idiots, and b.) cause
more had wringing when it doesn't work. I know everyone can be and
Idiot about something sometimes. Hell I'm an idiot more than most,
(someday I'll tell the story of how I ran over my own dog. He
survived...), but I don't expect society to save me from my idiocy,
because it can't!

Well, Peter, you just called an idiot my wife who admitted to me
yesterday (we talked about this thread a bit) that since she is sitting
next to me and our younger is sitting alone on the back sit, she caught
herself once or twice that she was forgetting about Anat. I am thinking
that you should at least reconsider and at most apologize.

Peter, consider very simple and likely scenario. An alone mother of two kids must get one kid to the hospital. And she cannot leave the other child at home. She takes that child with them and under pressure and stress forgets that poor child in the car. I see no "dedicated idiocy" here. I see a tragic possibility for which I would gladly pay $10 of my money every year to have it avoided across my country. Admittedly, it'll give me a /good feeling/ that you pointed out, but it as well may save some _innocent_ lives...

... But we have to recognize that life is dangerous. We cannot
guarantee perfect safety, to all people at all times. We can't afford
it either financially or more importantly for the sake of the
individual's spirit. To even attempt to do so is a fools errand.
Somebody's got to say stop somewhere.

That's right. But you can give it a proper benefit of a doubt, spend your time considering and not dismiss any such offer outright just because.

Boris