It is my opinion, however, that anyone who thinks they can go out and buy their first computer, plug it in and start using it without reading the manual(s), attending a class, joining a support group, and more, is woefully assuming they are superhuman, Windows or Mac.

or they might not have a computer at home. They might be coming back to work after time out for child-rearing, and be confronted with a computer for the first time ever, or the first time since the DOS days, and be expected to work it straight away.

A few weeks ago I had to travel to one of our other offices to do some deskside support for the first time in 25 years, and the first time on Windows rather than green-screen mainframes. The office is full of middle-aged women working part-time to earn pin money who just want to use the computer to do exactly what they've been trained to do, which they've frequently misunderstood and dutifully written into their notebooks. As soon as anything slightly different happens they are all at sea, and too scared of the computer to try anything to help themselves.

There are more people out there than you might realise who haven't a clue, and don't care. And why should they? The computers should work more like the TV and the toaster, and so should the systems that we IT people make them use.