On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi <gdigio...@gmail.com> wrote:
> if I needed Windows, Id get a refurb, last series iMac or MacBook Pro.
> Max out the RAM, put a big HD in it, install Windows. Right there you
> can boot either Win or Mac at your discretion. Install Parallels and
> you can run both at the same time. Best of both worlds.

You can get a better spec on a new Windows machine for the same or
even less money than a Mac Refurb. If you don't need OS X, skip the
Macbooks and iMac's. The only Mac's which are competitive in terms of
bang/buck at the moment are the Mac Pro's and the top-end MacBook
Pro's, the consumer line is currently seriously overpriced, enough
that even the Refurbs are questionable as deals (Refurb MacBook Pro's
with similar specs to my current HP HDX16 are priced at the same price
as what I payed for the HP new last year, for what a Core 2 Mini with
4GB and a 500GB drive costs I can get a Dell with an i5, 6GB RAM and a
1TB drive). Apple's currently at the high point in its pricing cycle
vs comparable PC hardware.

> Do not put money into a 2001 computer. That's a waste of money IMO.

Agreed, strongly. Even a sub-$500 new Desktop will run rings around
anything from 2001.

-Adam