On 2010-09-05 10:56 , Adam Maas wrote:
I'm talking Dell, HP, Toshiba and Lenovo here. Similar quality
components, sometimes better (HP for example uses Asus MB's on their
desktops, better quality boards than the Mac desktop boards aside from
the Mac Pro's). The components used in the non-Pro Mac's are nothing
special and some parts (desktop PSU's in particular) are inferior to
the standardized designs used in the PC world.

avoiding the general point, some high points on Mac components are batteries in current MacBooks and MacBooks Pro, and displays on current iMacs; also worth mentioning that the current Mini has an extremely low power draw

> Note Macs are poor hosts for OS's other than OS X or
Windows as well

how so? do you mean that virtualized OSs run more slowly, or what? i certainly get what i need running Win2000, XP & 7 plus various Ubuntu and CentOS VMs, so for my modest purposes i don't understand what you might mean by "poor host"