@ Ann -- I'll say this much: Were it not for the lens, I'd skipped past the ad. But, now that I've held it, I sure do like the way it feels in the hand. :-)

@ PDML at large -- I pleaded with you people not to talk about film shooting. But, you did it anyway. Now, look what you've done.

-- Walt

On 11/27/2010 7:23 PM, Ann Sanfedele wrote:
Walter Gilbert wrote:

As of approximately 6:00 PM central time this evening, I'll be the proud owner of a Pentax K1000 and what I suspect will be the 50mm f/2 (though, hoping for a pleasant surprise on the lens). Having spoken to the owner, it's been very lightly used, is fully functioning, and in need of a battery. I'd been afraid I was going to miss out on it, but as luck would have it, a little bit of computer tech work suddenly presented itself which allowed me to go ahead bite on it.

I know it's not the greatest camera and/or lens on the planet, but I'm pretty excited about finally being able to lay hands on a 50mm prime without having to order the thing over the 'net. I have a feeling I'm going to get a LOT of use out of this lens on my K-x (and my recent discovery of the advantages of raw shooting -- [still sobbing over the shots lost to the jpg engine]), and may even venture into a bit of B&W film photography before all is said and done.

Anyway ... here's asking for crossed fingers toward the hope for a f/1.2 -- but, at $40 US, I'll take it whatever it is.

-- Walt

hell of a bargain, I say... and if you really only got it for the lens, I'd bet you could turn the body around to a student for what you paid for it all

ann