As I said, for the newspaper they don't require it but I guarantee you they
do for their non-newspaper properties.  The web property you write for is
part of the newspaper property and falls under the news umbrella.

You were photographing a news story - news stories are entirely different
than general photography in the courts.  Mainly because the news would be
crippled without these special considerations.

The law (in writing and in practice of the courts) is currently so
convoluted and inconsistent that almost all non-news organizations require
model releases even for images not technically legally requiring releases in
order to protect from lawsuits.