Thought I'd pass this along to see what the collective opinion is...

I don't have a dedicated film scanner and probably never will, but I
found a CanoScan 8000F (2400 x 4800 dpi) at a thrift store over the
lunch break today that I decided to take a chance on for $12.99.
: )
It has the big thick lid with backlight for film scanning. It came
with power supply and everything, but not the film guides (or
software). Software shouldn't be much of a problem to procure, but I
need to rig something for a film holder (guide). Found this simple
tip:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/diana_plus/discuss/72157623555916306/72157623463650481/

For the little bit it takes to try, I'm going to give it a go. Just
wondered if anyone had any other ideas for DIY film holders to use
with this scanner.