I just realized that I have a lens-reversing adapter. I just mounted a Pentax 50mm f2.0 lens on my camera backwards, and it gave fairly impressive results. When shooting coins, a US quarter will almost totally span the narrow dimension of the frame. There is just a very tiny amount of space left on both sides of the coin.

Using this same adapter, along with a special adapter plate for my old Omega enlarger, I can mount my Pentax DSLR in place of my enlarger head. This will let me shoot high-magnification macro through my EL-Nikkor enlarging lens. With the camera mounted on the enlarger it's not terribly portable, but I can definitely make use of this here at home.

These are some things I can make good use of right now, until I get more elaborate macro gear. :)

I want to think everyone for their macro lens suggestions. You've all been very helpful!

.