Top posting is my preference.
All the little carots (>) or whatever are a waste of bandwidth.
Gmail neatly threads up the posts and makes it easy for me.
There is no need to catch your replies line by line by line.

This works with most posters except Christine A.,
who seems to re-title every email she sends out.
Maybe she has something against Google.  :-)

Regards,  Bob S.