On 2011-03-18 19:44 , eckinator wrote:
thanks, guys
my problem is I have no idea what the iPad is practical for; thus far
I've ignored iProducts altogether - what are the most common storage
intensive things that you use it for?

i have a 16GB iPhone 4, which is comparable to an iPad in some important respects; i don't do much video, but at the moment i have about 1000 photos, 200+ apps (most of them relatively useless) and about 9 hours of music on my iPhone; you can see what that amounts to in storage here:

<http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3510446/1/iOS%20storage?h=797439>

apps are generally small, a couple contain reference databases and are larger than 100MB; the iPhone is a great notebook, and i do things like transfer PDFs to it that i need to be able to look at in a meeting; iPads can do the same and are big enough to better as a reading device and more comfortable for video, detailed presentations and fairly serious writing (with an external keyboard); you can plug them into an HDMI monitor as well (i think you'll get 720p)