From: "P. J. Alling"

If you get a cheap CD/DVD ROM device the computer will just read it as a
CD reader.  However unless you're running WinME, I don't think there's a
version of windows that won't recognize and read DVDs.  Writing them is
another matter.

However if all you want is to replace your CD ROM  there's this.

http://www.impactcomputers.com/m9865.html

This is going to be my general purpose, goof-off on the internet computer. It's main purpose is to provide backwards compatibility with some older hardware. For one thing, I intend to keep a functional floppy drive in it.

The computer is on about its third or fourth power supply and third mother board. I've got a DVD-RW installed in it along with the CD-RW.

It used to let me play CD music from one drive while playing games that required the disk to be in the drive as a form of copy protection from the other.

Possibly this computer will also become my print server, and I have a SATA RAID card (not yet installed) & enough empty bays to add another 4 disks & make it my interim file server. I will have to upgrade the power supply in order to do that, and I have available memory slots on the motherboard.

The current CPU & RAM doesn't meet the minimum requirements for a Blu-Ray burner, although I might just be able to run a Blue-Ray player/DVD burner combo.

The current motherboard only supported one IDE channel and up until now I'd been using that for the old Hard Drive & DVD drives. Now that I've got the hard drive cloned to a SATA drive, I've got a free IDE port and thought I'd try to hook the CD-RW back up.

The CD-RW was functional before I last replaced the motherboard. At least the cup holder still works.

I just realized I can probably salvage a CD-RW from my Mom's old computer. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. She's been nagging me to get it out of her guest room closet anyway.

The particular drive you reference won't fit my plans, but I found others on the site that will.

Thanks.

PS: The new case for my Photoshop workstation arrived this morning. All I have to do now is rebuild it, buy & install a suitable power supply. I made damn sure the new case is going to accept a STANDARD FORM FACTOR power supply. Then it's just a matter of finding time to go out and take some photos worth editing.

PPS: I also have Academic copies of LR3 and Painter11 on the way. Hopefully I'll be able to find Godfrey's instructions for repairing screwed up EXIF data using LightRoom once I get them installed and I'll finally be able to get my back catalog where it won't bug me.