On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 02:10:13PM -0400, John Sessoms wrote:
> From: John Francis

> >So put in a DVD drive - they can read (and, generally, write) CDs.
> >

> The DVD drive ain't broke, so I ain't gotta fix it. I'm trying to
> have both the DVD-RW & the CD-RW working in this system.

What's the objection to having two DVD drives?  Most systems should be
quite happy with that configuration.

I must admit I haven't tried this exact setup - my last dual-drive system
had one CD-R drive, and one DVD/CD-RW drive; since that machine I've been
using mostly notebooks.  But AFAIK very few things would care; just about
all the software I've seen would be happy with multiple drives of any kind.

In any case, I might have an old CD-RW drive lying around; I'll take a look.

(If you're interested in keeping old hardware running, I think I've still
got a 5 1/4" floppy drive somewhere, a ZIP drive, and whatever the higher-
capacity follow-on from Iomega was called.  And a SCSI DAT drive ...)