On 4/4/2011 22:02, Ralf R. Radermacher wrote:
The OK button of my, or rather Michael's, K10D has stopped working. Just
got the cost estimate for the repair: 310,45 euros!

My DS gave up after 4 years (rear thumbwheel erratic, repair too
expensive), the K10D, 4 1/2 years old, is now beyond economical repair,
my K-7 had been exchanged by the dealer and #2 needed a new trigger
button after less than a year, and I'm at my 4th K-5 and counting...

Is this just a strain of bad luck or is Pentax' quality really going
down the drain? Or is an average economic lifetime of a mere 4 1/2 years
for a DSLR a normal thing nowadays?

Ralf

Ralf, without going into your financial situation I should point out that 4+ years for a DSLR is a lot. I cannot possibly know how much Michael is shooting with his K10D, but I think that half the declared guaranteed number of shutter actuations is not bad at all on my book.

My K10D has 23,000+ clicks and doing as good as it was when I bought it back in 2006. I hope it will do as many clicks more before it finally expires.

I cannot possibly disagree that QC does not appear improving over the years, but then so does the complexity of the cameras. I don't think you could outright deny that other manufacturers are completely trouble free too.

Yet I certainly can relate to your frustration. These things are certainly not peanuts.

Boris