From: Liz Masoner

It's not a cormorant but I was happy to get a chance to photograph a baby
great horned owl at the local wildlife center today.  He'll be with the
center until about August when he's old enough to fend for himself.

http://lizmasoner.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/i-love-the-shot/

I wonder why it's so late developing?

Around here (North Carolina) it's just about time for the chicks to have fledged and mama would have kicked them out of the nest (admittedly based on a limited amount of experience watching nests).

I'd have guessed down south where you are their development would be a little further along. That one looks like it's only a week or so from having its full flight feathers and being able to forage for itself.