G'day all.

Thanks to all who commented and for the very detailed summaries of your
workflows.  I've read them all and archived them for future reference.

I suppose the thing I failed to appreciate was that with something like
Lightroom you are effectively batch processing on import but not
actually producing extra files (tiff or jpg) except for those images
that you want to work on later in other software.  If I've understood
correctly, the image adjustments are stored in the DNGs or in sidecar
files with PEFs  - at least that's my interpretation, summed up in
Charles' comment below.

I'd like to use Lightroom but I've now invested a lot of time into
Studioline.  The problem with moving to Lightroom now is that I'd lose
the custom metadata fields that I've added to each image and which are
stored in the Studioline database.  It's not impossible to get those
custom fields into standard IPTC fields and then import all of my past
image files into Lightroom, but it wouldn't be trivial.

Studioline can process RAW images (using camera-specific parameters
derived from DCRaw) and you can apply a wide range of image adjustments
to those images which are then stored within the database.  I'm just not
sure how practical my current workflow would be for processing a large
number of RAW files.  That's something I have to think about further.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia