On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 10:37:24AM -0400, Mat Maessen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:35 AM, William Robb
> <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Apparently, if you have an iPhone, it it almost constantly recording it's
> > whereabouts (and generally it's owner's whereabouts) on an almost continuous
> > basis.
>
> Every smartphone that has a GPS in it does this. It's how the
> applications on the phone know where you are.
>
> > My understanding is that it also sends this information back to Apple
> > periodically.
>
> Incorrect.
>
> -Mat

No - he's correct.

Didn't you see the big uproar about this?

Apple turned this on as part of a software update. As a result of the details
becoming public, they added a way for a user to turn off the location gathering,
they truncated the amount of information kept on the phone, they stopped
gathering the information when the phone was turned off, and they stopped
copying that file to your computer when you synced with your iTunes library.
But as far as I know they still send the information to Apple.  Supposedly
it gets anonymised first, but I don't know how effectively that gets done.

Not that iPhones are unique in this kind of behaviour. That's valuable data
(which cell towers, wireless networks, etc., are visible from a location).
But, as Google also discovered, gathering that kind of information can be
a risky business, unless you are scrupulously careful about how you do it.