On 28 June 2011 11:43, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:

(snip)
> .... I assume you're a flickr members, so that's why the ads are
> inconspicuous. They're not inconspicuous for non-members. The same is true of
> photo.net for the most part. However, I think photo.net should avoid pop-ups
> and stick with banners exclusively, although banners don't generate as many
> hits as pop-ups, so most websites now employ pop-ups.
> Paul

Just what are non-members seeing on Flickr that members aren't?  Has
anybody ~really~ tested it or are they just guessing and assuming?

To test Paul's claim I walked over to my son's computer and viewed my
Flickr photostream.  My son isn't a Flickr member, and I never use his
computer so it doesn't have any cookies for Flickr or Yahoo that would
give him members privileges.  Neither my computer's nor my son's have
any ad-blocking software at work.  Flash and Java are enabled for us
both.

The pages I saw were ~absolutely~ 100 percent identical to the pages I
see on my own computers.  Every part of the page layout was the same
down to the smallest detail, including the single ad panel below and
to the right of the display picture.

Then I viewed Godfrey's photostream at my son's computer.  No ads at
all, just as it should be because Godfrey is a paid subscriber.  On
Flickr that doesn't just mean no ads for Godder's eyes, it also means
no ads for his viewers.  Not even paid subscribers to photo.net can
make that claim.

I can't imagine what some people are seeing that makes them believe
Flickr is as bad as photo.net.  Flickr advertising is smaller and less
prominently placed than photo.net ads.  There is only one ad on the
standard Flickr photo page against three ads on a standard photo.net
photo page.  Other Flickr display pages such as "Lightbox" or "All
Sizes" don't have ads.

If you choose the first link that Godfrey always supplies you'll get a
"Lightbox" page so you won't need to bitch about any perceived Flickr
crapulence.  For my part I'll tell you which is the "clean" page when
I supply links.

I reckon people hate Flickr because they've just gotta hate something,
and there's no Mac vs PC debate going on today.

regards, Anthony

   "Of what use is lens and light
    to those who lack in mind and sight"
                                               (Anon)