Well said, Miserere and Goffrey.  At least Ricoh wants Pentax to make cameras
and lenses.
-----Original Message-----
From: Miserere <miser...@gmail.com>
Sender: pdml-boun...@pdml.net
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 11:23:39
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List<pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: BJP article on Ricoh Pentax purchase

On 8 July 2011 18:10, Godfrey DiGiorgi <gdigio...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I live 2-2-1/2 hours from Manhattan, If I lived that close to downtown
>>> Los Angeles I'd probably actually be within the city limits, I see more
>>> Pentax products in stores than I see Ricoh products, and I see damned
>>> few of those. How is Ricoh marketing going to help Pentax, and if Ricoh
>>> sees Pentax marketing helping them, they've been badly misinformed.
>
> Ricoh camera division exited the USA about 12 years ago. They returned
> in small volume distribution just recently, although they've been
> successful with their high-end compact niche all along. They've
> existed in the USA on private, independent imports through particular
> suppliers .. and enough of them that the enthusiast community hasn't
> forgotten them. So you wouldn't see many of them in stores just yet.
>
> I'm pretty sure the Pentax acquisition is in good part a USA reentry
> strategy. It nets them the Pentax USA distribution network as well as
> the brand name and assorted technologies. The Pentax distribution
> network, small and potentially weak as it might be, is a heck of a lot
> better than no distribution network at all.
>
> --
> Godfrey

For a number of reasons, I know what Godfrey said is correct.

I also look forward to the push from a company that realises its need
for better marketing and is taking steps to achieve that. I think we
all feel Pentax has never tried to market itself in the US (in recent
decades), and this might be about to change...or not. We'll see.

Let's reconvene this meeting in a year.

   —M.

    \/\/o/\/\ --> http://WorldOfMiserere.com

    http://EnticingTheLight.com