I usuall do fill flash the old fashioned way, because you know, there's no sensors to get confused and screw up exposure.

On 7/13/2011 11:11 AM, Christine Nielsen wrote:
Last night, I attended a "portrait workshop".  We were shooting at the
beach, at the end of the day.  It was still very bright, and in the
shade of a lighthouse, some fill was required on our models' faces.
No problem.  I had the AF540 on my k-7...using aperture priority mode,
and -1.5 Flash EV, I took some shots.  Gah.  Way overexposed.  I
fiddled, set the flash to high-speed sync, and tried again.  Still
hot.  I proceeded to try several other manipulations... none really
working, until I settled on a fully manual operation for exposure, and
flash (1/16).

It shouldn't have to be this way, though, right?  I should be able to
use pttl to provide (more or less) the right amount of fill, yes? I'm
even pretty sure I've done it successfully in the past, though it
would have been with the AF360.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
-c

--
Where's the Kaboom?  There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering Kaboom!

        --Marvin the Martian.