Hi Christine: I do pretty much what is stated below. Also, I have a fitted, square diffuser and often use the bounce angle, but obviously outside you can't bounce against the clouds, but sometimes this angle still helps when I want just a hint of light. Cheers, Christine/Chicago

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christine Nielsen" <ch...@inielsen.net>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: Can we talk about fill flash & pttl?

Thanks for your reply, Godfrey.  Everything you said syncs with
everything I've been taught about using flash... And your
recommendation:

When I do use TTL flash automation systems for fill flash, I find the
only way to get consistent results with almost any camera and flash
system is to:
- Set camera to Manual exposure
- Pick an ISO, aperture and exposure time to give appropriately
correct main light exposure for the subject
- Set the Flash EV-compensation control to work in the correct range,
typically -2 to -1.3 EV is about right.

Is 'zactly what I did. (manual exposure/ pttl flash/ -1.5 to -2EV/ hss
was one of my iterations)  Still, I got uneven results.  Now, maybe I
still goofed in setting the flash EV in camera rather than on the
unit... or in any number of other ways...

I hold onto hope for user error, but the (anecdotal) evidence on the
other side is mounting.  And when looking for guidance from the
(Canikon-wielding) workshop leader?  "Oh, don't ask me about flash!!
I just set it on AUTO & go!  Heehee!!!"  Maddening.

Oh well.   I'm happy that I'm at least comfortable enough navigating
with a manual flash until I get this sorted out.

Thanks again,
-c