From: Jaume Lahuerta
Hi,

I set my K20D so I don't have 2
pictures with the same name (20D0XXXX.jpg for the first 10,000 frames,
20D1XXXX.jpg for the second 10K and so on). But recently when I was
shooting the (let's say) 20D21500 frame, I changed the SD card and I
didn't remember that in this second card I had a couple of old images
(let's say 20D18500 and 20D18501).

As a result, the following frames were named as 20D28502 instead of 20D21501
(this is, the
last 4 digits followed the old image sequence).
I have tried to reproduce the situation, but the camera didn't go back to the
previous number sequence.
So my question is, is there any way to force the camera to put the last 4
digits that I want it to, so I can keep with the original sequence?

Thanks in advance,Jaume

I believe the solution is to format the card in camera and shoot one frame. Place that card in a card reader attached to your computer and change the file name on the card USING THE COMPUTER to what it's got the sequence number it's supposed to have.

If the frame you shot after formatting the card is numbered 20D28502.PEF when it's supposed to be 20D21501.PEF, you would rename it to 20D21501.PEF.

When you put the card back into the camera and shoot another frame, the camera should pick up with the correct sequence number again just like it picked up the old sequence number.

The camera seems to keep the last file name in memory, but if it finds a different file name on the card, it will continue with the next frame number from that one. This is one reason I always format my cards in the camera as soon as I've made sure my download to the computer is good.

That way if I change cards I don't have to worry about the camera picking up an old sequence number from a previous image. Also works for being able to use the same cards between my K20D and the K10D I use for backup.