Lightroom is as much or more about organization and metadata as it is
about manipulation.  You can't do pixel level editing in LR, and
Layers don't exist there, so PS and other editors are still useful
even if you use LR.

My dad doesn't shoot nearly the volume that I do, and LR doesn't make
sense for him.  I'm anal about organizing, so it works well for me.
You can do similar organizing with Bridge, but I can't stand using it.
 Everyone is different, and everyone has different needs.

--
David Parsons Photography
http://www.davidparsonsphoto.com

Aloha Photographer Photoblog