Charles,

Nice catch!
I especially like the audience shot!
The spotlight beam is a great lucky addition.

> I try to remember to aim my camera back into the audience at almost
> every show at least once.  You get some very interesting shots when
> everyone is (almost) looking at the camera.  And, as you state, it's
> not done very often.

In my workshops on Photography and Dancers, I point out that there
are other interesting subjects at dance events. I quote this text from
the musicle "Cabaret":
"The girls are beautiful...
The audience is beautiful, too...
Even the orchestra is beautiful!",
suggesting to photograph the audience, the orchestra, and other things
that might be happening off the dance floor.

Usually, I show some of these shots as examples:
http://42graphy.org/swing/lindyfest-2010/_IR_6443.html
http://42graphy.org/swing/lindyfest-2010/_IR_6448.html
http://42graphy.org/swing/abw-2009/13-Saturday-acbc-3-final/IMGP8353.html

Yours is also a good example of that idea.

I agree with the square crop. While I typically preserve the aspect
ratio of the shot when cropping (if I keep it rectangular),
I change it to a square often and without reservations.

During the time of shooting, for this particular shot, I may have
chosen to turn the camera vertically, and zoom in on the dancers.
That might add some dynamics.

Igor