On Dec 6, 2011, at 14:58, Igor Roshchin wrote:

> Charles,
>
> Nice catch!
> I especially like the audience shot!
> The spotlight beam is a great lucky addition.

Thank you.
> suggesting to photograph the audience, the orchestra, and other things
> that might be happening off the dance floor.
>
> Usually, I show some of these shots as examples:
> http://42graphy.org/swing/lindyfest-2010/_IR_6443.html
> http://42graphy.org/swing/lindyfest-2010/_IR_6448.html
> http://42graphy.org/swing/abw-2009/13-Saturday-acbc-3-final/IMGP8353.html

Good stuff!  Yes, that's kind of what I'm trying to do when I turn the camera
around.

One such shot is one I shared with the group here back in June:

http://charles.robinsontwins.org/photos/2011/rebel_rebel/content/IMGP1657_large.html

> Yours is also a good example of that idea.

:-)

> During the time of shooting, for this particular shot, I may have
> chosen to turn the camera vertically, and zoom in on the dancers.
> That might add some dynamics.

Fixed-focal-length 90mm lens, and the dancers were in-and-out in about 45
seconds.  If I'd tried to swap in the 135mm lens it would have all been too
late.

With the exception of the times I need a wide angle (thus utilizing the 16-50)
I never shoot with zooms at a concert.  Too SLOW.  This could change someday if
I ever get my hands on a K5.

 -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - charl...@visi.com