From: Tom C

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=14803172&size=lg
I like the first one better, the second one loses too much sharpness.

Rather than taking out the noise with noise reduction, maybe you could
do it, at least in the sky by doing something with the colors. If you're
working in lightroom, use the adjustment brush, set to autoselect on
color ?so that it selects just the sky and play with saturation.

Or, since the ridgeline is effectively black, select everything but the
moon and play with the saturation.

You might also be able to do something where you select the magenta cast
in the sky in the HSL sliders and either desaturate it, in which clase
it would be grey clouds against a blue sky, or maybe even change the
pink to teal to match the sky.

--
Larry Colen l...@red4est.com (from dos4est)

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions John and Larry. I've tried to
avoid selective noise reduction, etc., but that may be the only answer
in this case. I've spent more time working on this one image than any
other image ever... part of it is a learning curve with noise
reduction.

Sometimes an image is worth the effort.